Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Happy Inn

During my two years in Louisville, I became a fan of The Muckrakers, a band from WKU. About half the people that I worked with at the Bureau were Western alum. One of these said alums forced a Muckrakers album upon me sometime during our first few months of work. At first, I wasn't too sure about the band, but I checked out their website anyway. One night, I was at Wick's with some people and we saw on the calendar of upcoming shows that The Muckrakers were playing that weekend. I thought, "Hey, I know who they are!" So, a few nights later, I returned to Wick's to see The Muckrakers play for the first time.

Thus began a beautiful relationship. I had the chance to see the band play a few more times and each time I realized more and more just how much potential they had. Although it's fun to be a fan of a no-name band, I would like to see The Muckrakers go further. I titled this blog for a song off of their second album. Apparently, the band would always play at a local bar in Bowling Green called the Happy Inn. I have never been there, but whenever I listen to this song, it makes me very reminiscent of Kentucky.

When I left Miami for Louisville in 2002, I never dreamed that I would fall in love with the city. I had this picture in my mind of Kentucky: horses, farms, and people who all spoke with heavy country accents. All of my friends warned me about coming back with an accent myself. Of course, there are horses, farms, and some people with heavy accents in Kentucky, but Louisville is about so much more than that. I know it sounds extremely cheesy and cliche, but I do believe that I found myself there. I had picked up and moved away from my home, my family, everything that I knew. I had nothing in Kentucky, other than a job offer across the river in Jeff. Within those two years, I changed completely. I finally started figuring out who Karyn was, and what she was all about. Maybe it was a time in my life when change was inevitable, but the romantic in me says that my surroundings had something to do with it. There is not a moment in life when I question or regret my decision to move to Louisville. However, do I question my decision to leave?

Everyday.

Also check out The Muckrakers brand new song, Cigarettes and Magazines.

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

I saw that on the website. Ben just went to that show at Gerstles last month and heard some of the new stuff...he said it was a good show. Are you going to be in BG next week? If so, you should totally go.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

I completely understand about your Napoleon withdrawals. I already decided that I need to pick up a copy ASAP. I actually still have my blockbuster dvd (taking advantage of that extra 7 days with no late fee) and it is here at work right now (I made my cube mate take it home and watch it last night). I have seriously contemplated putting it into the computer today, more than once.

To get your Napoleon fix, you should got to the official website. They have a bunch of clips in the media section. I have watched all of them at least once or twice. Meanwhile, the entire office wonders what is so funny.

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/napoleondynamite/

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I too, unfortunately went 4.5 years through WKU and did not see the Muckrakers perform. I have one of their cd's and I like it.
I do have some good memories from Happy Inn though. My roommates always ordered delivery from there, and the same guy, Tom, always brought it. He would call our dorm room from the lobby and say really fast in his thick Asian accent, "Happy in yo' lobby". He said it so fast that the inn and in ran together. He'd slip a can of beer in the bag occasionally too.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on Muckrakers! I am actually listening to them RIGHT NOW, funny stuff, as I browsed blogs.

I did make the concert last Tuesday... it was great to see the guys. I was on the Hill when they were and remember Rob and Ruby's first days when the performed at the BSU on Friday nights. I also rememember the packed out shows at Happy Inn right behind my dorm. We'd cram in there as tight as we could. Fire Marshall would not have been happy.

They will have a new album coming out soon, their first national release.

I have both their other CDs and play them all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home