Friday, February 25, 2005

She's a Rebel

Two days ago, I could have sworn that I was angry at winter. It had fooled us with a few 60 degree days, the visions of flip-flops had filled my head. My feet knew that it was almost that time of year when they would be free of constricting closed-toe shoes virtually every single day. Then, to my horror, winter temperatures returned. I had come to terms with the fact that I was going to have to wait a bit longer for spring to actually come. On Wednesday morning, as I am walking Abby at 5:30 am, I see my neighbor walking towards me with his dog. I am not a morning person, especially at that ungodly hour. It was too late to turn around so I knew I was going to have to talk to the neighbor. I tried to make it quick, giving him the good old 'head-nod' hello, but (in a way too cheery voice) he said, "Are you ready for the snow?" My mouth about fell to the ground, "Uh....snow?" He informed me that they were calling for 3-6 inches of snow, beginning that night. Now, I love the snow, just as much as the next Florida girl, but I thought the snow was done for the year!

This horrible news put quite a feeling of dread on me for the entire day. I went to bed on Wednesday night knowing that I would wake up, and the snow would have begun. I woke up on Thursday morning to about an inch of snow already on my car and the grass. Since we never get out of work, I knew I had to get my butt out of the house and into the office (especially since I have a crap load of work to do, more on this another day).

The day was moving fairly quickly, I was busy emailing and working. At around 1 o'clock, I heard one of the 13's mulling around the office, talking about how she would get to go home soon. I immediately took off my headphones, and listened to the buzz. Apparently, the OPM website had announced that Federal employees would be able to leave 2 hours before their scheduled departure hour. Immediately, the blues lifted. I felt like yelling, "I love winter! I love snow!" Winter and I were no longer at odds.

I was able to leave work at 2:30. I went immediately to the library to pick up a book that was on hold for me. After getting home and walking Abby, I opened up my curtains and blinds, laid (or is it lay?) on my bed, and read. It was great! I breezed through the first 100 pages, and then it was time to go to the gym. Jenny, also being a federal employee, had gotten out of work a bit early as well. We were able to make impromptu plans to go work out, and then partake in food from one of our favorite eating establishments. All of this was done before the small group girls got to my house at 7:30. I must say, it was a great afternoon.

This being said, winter and I are having disagreements again. I didn't want to have to scrape my car this morning. I was already an hour late as it was. Funny how easily one can forget to set their alarm at night, isn't it?

Finally, I adore the newest Green Day album and I listen to it virtually non-stop in my car. Today, I cannot get this song out of my head. It is quite a catchy tune.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home