Wednesday, February 22, 2006

sk8r gurl

Last night I had to meet someone for dinner at 6 pm. I knew that I would have to rush home afterwards to get home by 8. Only, I wasn't concerned about the Olympics and the Women's Figure Skating Short Program. I had to watch American Idol. It's down to the top 24, man!

(The ladies quite disappointed me and it is clear that there are only a few front-runners including Mandisa, Paris Bennett, Lisa Tucker, and Nanny McPhee, with the rest of the girls being extremely forgettable. I have much higher hopes for the guys this season so I am stoked for tonight's episode.)

As I was watching Randy, Paula, and Simon, I vaguely recalled that Figure Skating was supposed to be on television, but I shrugged it off. The little girl that I used to be would NEVER miss an Olympic Figure Skating competition. Who have I become? Am I really more concerned with American Idol which is on two or three times a week for about 4 months of every year, than I am with the most prestigious competition in the world that only comes around once every four years? Heck yes, I am! If you would have told my 12 year old self that this would happen, I would have been appalled. I have very fond memories ("Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories...and we've already missed the spring!") of watching the Olympics, particularly figure skating and gymnastics, with my mom and sister. My sister and I would pretend to be the commentators ("Oh, she missed that triple axle ever so slightly, No! No! It's over, that mistake was HUGE!") but we really had no clue what we were talking about. Can anyone really tell the difference between a triple axle, a triple flip, a double toe, or a triple lutz? I certainly can't, but my gosh, I know a Pamchenko when I see one!

Is the problem really me or is it because there are no figure skaters this year with the likeability factor? Sasha Cohen? She is to me the Dominique Moceanu of figure skating. Meaning, I was over her before she even began. Granted, Sasha Cohen does not rank as low as Tara Libiteme, but she is no Michelle Kwan either. I like to think that had Michelle still been in the competition, I would have cared last night. But what happened to the days when we had competitors like Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tonya Harding ALL IN THE SAME COMPETITION? Those were the good days. The days when all of the world tuned in to see who was going to get clubbed. I distinctly remember cutting out pictures of Nancy and Kristi and putting them in my school notebooks (not Tonya, I never liked her even before she hired some dude to take Nancy out...maybe it was the bad dye job and 80's bangs?). Are the Olympics losing their luster? Is it because I am older and seeing Olympic hopefuls born in 1989 (the "old" athletes were born in 1984) just depresses me? Or maybe it's because the Olympic routine changed in the early 90's and we got 2 Winter Olympics within 2 years, so we cared more. Or, OR, maybe it's because I can look the winners up on the internet long before the program even airs and I don't have to sit through any Bob Costas fireside chats, anxiously awaiting the next pop-up in the bottom right corner telling me how many minutes are left until the Figure Skating competition starts.

4 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger fatjeremy said...

i was getting bored watching the ice skating when i realized i had TVod PTI earlier that day. thats when i promtly changed the channel to some meaningful television. whats sad is that i have enjoyed watching men's curling more than anything else so far this olympics. now that our men are out of hockey, i dont know what else we have left. maybe some good bobsled?
as for american idol...it needs to be canceled.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

BLASPHEMY!

I really don't understand Curling. I read someone yesterday comparing it to shuffleboard, billards, bowling, and swiffering. I think she hit the nail on the head.

I've quite enjoyed speed skating this year though.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sat and watched Curling for about a straight hour on Friday night. I really had no idea what they were doing but it was intriguing somehow. Plus one of the Swiss guys was really hot. ;)
I love the skating (figure and speed) and I thought the snowboardcross was awesome. I am so sick of the Bode Miller hype though - ugh.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Hollis said...

I have a big beef with the media. I for one, have enjoyed the Olympics and I hate finding out stuff before it happens if I'm planning to watch that night. So I've avoided ESPN (tv and internet) like the plague. The night before last, I was watching the ABC evening news and they start talking about the Olympics. Elizabeth Vargas says, "If you don't want to hear, now's a good time to press mute." Now I am frantically searching for the remote while I'm holding my baby and the cat is sitting on my lap. I finally get the remote and am pushing any button I can find. Aahh...mute. I also turn away from the screen. I look back...ok it's safe. Now a little piece on Irina Slutskya, the Russian skater. Then after that is over, Vargas comes back on and says, "We have late word tonight from the short program, Sasha Cohen..." and I dive for the mute button again. I think it's an evil conspiracy from all other news networks to spoil the results so then you think you don't need to watch and thus tune into their programming instead.

I'm looking forward to the long program tonight. Unfortunately I will have to flip between the Olympics and Dancing with the Stars. Yes...I know I'm a dork. Go Stacy!

Oh and I totally agree with Christian. I'm SO sick of Bode Miller. So much for the hype...he's definitely not lived up to any of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home