Tuesday, May 31, 2005

American Idiot

As I was leaving the family's house yesterday afternoon, about 17 people stood in the driveway. They all watched me load my car, I wouldn't let anyone help me. After I shut the trunk, I went around the circle and gave everyone a hug. My sister was the second person in the hug line, I told her I would hug her second to last, so she moved over next to my mom. I got to my uncle, but I wouldn't hug him. He moved to the third to last position. I finally got back to him, he gave me a big, long, fatherly hug, and whispered for me to be safe and told me he loved me. I moved on to my sister, gave her a quick hug, as I only live 2 hours from her and I plan to see her in a month, if not sooner. My mom was last, she started to cry. Even though I talk to her on the phone and through email on an almost daily basis, she still misses me like crazy. As she was crying she blubbered, "When are you coming to see me?" I told her I didn't know, but I would be there sometime. I climbed in my car, rolled down my windows, prepared my music selection, and started out the driveway. I had backed in so it would be easier to load the trunk. My family surrounded the back of my car and seemingly pushed me out of the drive. It was a good moment. I turned back and waved, then was on my way.

I stopped at the end of the street to fill my tank. When the car idled, I heard my phone ringing. It was the Alias theme song, so I knew it was my sister. I answered the phone, "What did I forget?" She replied, "Nothing, we just missed you because you've been gone for so long." We talked for a few seconds, then I hopped out and pumped the fuel into my vehicle. I got on the interstate and headed back to Southern Indiana.

I arrived at Brianna's house about 2 and a half hours later. I took my stuff out of the front seat and went inside. Brianna, Steve, and Isaac were getting ready to go for a walk, so I jumped at the chance to go with them. I put my stuff down in the office, then turned to meet them outside. I opened the front door, walked out, and looked towards my car. It glared at me. I stopped and yelled, "No they didn't!" There was a hideous yellow 'support our troops' magnetic ribbon on the passenger side on my car towards the back. Brianna turned and looked to see what I was pointing at. It took a few seconds to register but as soon as she realized what I was pointing at, she was laughing with me. We walked towards my car and I saw another on top of the trunk, then another on the back. They kept appearing! How did I miss these?! There were 4 in all. Two large ones, two minis, one that was pink, one that was yellow, one that was red, white and blue, and one that was yellow and red, white and blue. My hatred for magnetic ribbons runs so deep, and my family knows it. They made me drive for 2 and a half hours on the road with those things on my car. I am ashamed. I ripped them off immediately, and began thinking of a good revenge for the culprit.

EDIT: Apparently, my sister took a photo of me pulling out of the drive. I feel so used.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

Yeah, I definitely got punked. The worst part was that it was my aunt who was the mastermind! My soft-spoken, sweet aunt. The others were all accomplices.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

Isaac is much appreciative for the new magnets that he can pull on and off of our fridge.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

It was hilarious. Isaac picked them up out of the driveway and ran right to the car and put them on there. He knew where they were supposed to go. that just goes to show how over-used those stupid things are.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hollis here... I usually don't comment even though I read your blog all the time but I had to this time! HA! I would have loved to have seen your face (since I am quite aware of your disdain and scorn for magnetic ribbons). :) Hope you're having a great trip otherwise!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

Yeah, you totally should have heard Krista on the phone when I called after I finally saw them. First, she blamed it on Lauren's boyfriend, then she blamed it on Casey's boyfriend, then she said she'd hand the phone to the culprit. And that's when my aunt picked up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home