Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Secret of Life

About an hour ago, as I was lying in the grass at Waterfront Park, I heard someone say to me, "Beautiful day to get some sun." Only the way he said beautiful was the way someone who grew up in Sheboygan, MI in the 1940's would say it, as in "beauty-full." For all I know, the man did grow up there. I opened my eyes and looked up to see a man standing over me with a bike. He had clearly been biking along the paths, saw me, and cut through the grass. I was a bit annoyed and a bit frightened all at the same time. After all, mama always said not to talk to strangers. He had on orange-tinted sunglasses like the ones that grandma's wear when they go to play Bingo at the civic center.

I can't recall what the first question he asked me was, because he asked me quite a few. I was vague with my answers and didn't hit any questions back at him. He asked me if I was a native of the area and I told him no. He said that he wasn't either, but he had moved here over twenty years ago and had never left. He asked me where I was from and I told him that I came from Florida. I didn't really find it necessary to tell the gentleman my life story. He asked me if I liked it in this area, and I simply said, "I haven't decided yet."

Then he said something to me that I may never forget. He said, "I know where the best place for you to be is." I was thinking, "yeah, whatever buddy, keep moving and leave me alone." He continued, "The best place for you to be is Northern Virginia. This is the secret of life. Where are you right now?" I replied, "Northern Virginia." He went on, "Yes. And the secret of life is that the best place for you to be is the place where you are at. And there is only one person that can make it the best place, and that's you. The secret of life."

At that point I was no longer annoyed or frightened, but thoughtful and somewhat thankful. He continued talking, and eventually left me on my own. I laid there for only a few minutes longer, because I realized I probably needed to get out of the sun quickly before I burned. The man's name was Bob.


(The Secret of Life is a song by Faith Hill from a cd that I acquired during my country phase.)

4 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I could use some "curbside prophecy" myself.

It is a shame we have to be so protective and guarded with strangers. That is some profound insight though. I'm going to try to remember that.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

Ever since I read Jeff's comment last night, I can't get Jason Mraz out of my head! Go away!

"I'm just a curbside prophet with my hand in my pocket and I'm waiting for my rocket to come.."

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So telling me to Go Away, or the song?

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

Haha. The song. Sorry, I should have clarified! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home