I'll Back You Up
As I was eating dinner last night, I turned it to TBS where a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond was airing. I used to hate this show and say that it was for married people. However, once I finally sat down and paid attention, it was actually pretty funny. At any rate, in this episode, one of Raymond's sons is pretending to be sick so he doesn't have to go to school. Ray has to stay home with him rather than going to his interview with George Steinbrenner. I missed the beginning so I am not sure how many days the son had stayed home, but this wasn't the first. Finally, he opened up to his dad and said that he didn't want to go back to school because he had accidentally called the teacher 'mommy' and all of the other kids laughed at him.
At this point, I remembered doing the same thing when I was in elementary school. I think it probably happened more than once and I was absolutely mortified when it did. The simple explanation is that a child is used to spending a lot of time with 'mommy' and referring to her often. "Mommy, can I go outside to play?" "Mom, is it dinner time yet?" "MOM! Krista just hit me!" It is understandable that the teacher, the other woman that a child spends a lot of time with, may accidentally be referred to as 'mom'. Similarly, has anyone ever accidentally said, "I love you" when getting ready to hang up the phone to someone that you absolutely would not normally say this to? I have done this as well. I get used to talking to my family on the phone and before hanging up, it is always the "okay, Love ya, Bye." There has definitely been more than one occasion when I have said this to someone that I shouldn't have. I can't remember any specific circumstances, so I don't think that it has happened recently. Maybe I am finally starting to learn to think before speaking.
Today's song is 'I'll Back You Up' by DMB. It first appeared on the 'Remember Two Things' album. Here are the lyrics.

8 Comments:
I'm not sure if I've ever done this before, but Kaylynn calls Kim Mamma all the time when we have her. The first few times, we'd both get this "what the heck?" look on our face. But the more that it happens, I think it's because of what you're talking about here. And for anybody that might read this and wonder who Kaylynn is, she is mine and Kim's Goddaughter and we keep her a lot on weekends.
Yup, I say "Love ya" to friends. I usually only say it to other girls, unless, of course, I'm talking to Ben. ;)
I've also been known to say "You too." after statements where it sounds ridiculous to say it.
Like...
"You're welcome." "You too."
What? Uh, OK. or
"Thank you for shopping at Meijer." "You too!"
What? I work here, idiot.
I think it comes from my own retail days and just automatically saying things after I ring someone up.
I'm pretty sure I've said "I love you" to someone who was not my husband or my family or one of my dear friends. I mean, I totally groped Ben's butt one day as I was massaging his back....aloof to the fact that he is not my husband.
L.O.L. That was classic!
I do the "you too" as well. Maybe it is from the retail days.
And you loved it!
That's right daddy.
HAHAHA. That's great Brianna. I do that all the time too.
Also, I'll see the occasional guy in the bathroom that says something like "how's it going?" and I say back "pretty good." Then he'll switch things up a little the next time I see him and he'll say "What's up?" and I'll say back "pretty good" without really hearing what he said. then I think to myself, "I'm such an idiot."
Jason, did you just say that you grope Ben's butt all the time?!?!
Post a Comment
<< Home