Saturday, March 12, 2005

Crazy 'Bout Miss Daisy

Last night Jenny and I went to our favorite local hang out, St. Elmos. Before I moved here, I drank coffee. However, since moving here, I have become a coffee drinker. There are a few local coffee shops around that I love to go to, St. Elmos being my favorite. There is almost always a live performer in the evening, and last night was not an exception. His name was Mike Elosh, a singer/songwriter who would probably be most closely related to the 'Folk' genre. You can check out his website and a few demo songs here. Of the demos, I like 'Crazy 'Bout Miss Daisy' the best, however, there were songs that he played last night which I enjoyed more.

As I was sitting there drinking my coffee, reading a book, and listening to Mike Elosh, I started thinking about the life of a singer/songwriter. Music is their passion but success is difficult to come by. How long do they play in local coffee pubs before they even get an opportunity to make an independent album? Can they live solely on the income from playing small gigs? Do they have day jobs? As I was wondering these things, Mike Elosh mentioned that he was a dog walker by day. Can you imagine? Walking dogs all day long, and then going to coffee shops at night to play your music for a handful of people, most of which are probably doing other things while you perform.

It is probably a great blessing that I am not musically talented at all, because if I had an ounce of talent, I would be a struggling musician. I know it sounds crazy, but I envied this guy. He knows what it is that he loves and he doesn't care about the consequences, he just does it.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

I love it. There is an old man who is there all the time and he takes pictures of people who come in. He has a cork board where he puts the photos up. Each month, there is a theme to the pictures. He took our picture last night, it is the second time that I've been in one...but I have yet to make the board. Maybe next month!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

I swear "Smelly Cat" is the ode to my feline. Poor little Price.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home