Monday, April 04, 2005

Material Girl

One of the major factors in contributing to my decision to leave the city of Miami was the materialism that exists there. When I think about Miami or go back to the city, I know that I made the right decision. Materialism is one thing that can truly get my blood pumping and cause me to actually debate with someone. There are not many issues that I feel strongly enough about to argue over, but this is one of them. I truly do not understand the desire to continually spend $150 on a pair of jeans, $400 on a purse, and $200 on a pair of shoes. I do understand the desire to splurge on one high-end item once in a while, but is it really necessary to have an entire wardrobe consisting of these items?

When I was in Miami, I felt very out of place. I did not fit into a world in which every person put so much emphasis on their material possessions. There are people who spend more money on their vehicle than they do on their living arrangement. For them, it is necessary to have a better car than the person next to them, never mind the fact that they have to go home to their apartment that they rent month to month in the ghetto just to be able to afford the car payment on their spankin' new Caddy Escalade (with custom rims, of course).

Since leaving Miami, I have felt much more at home and comfortable in the places that I have lived, that is, until this weekend. On Saturday evening I went to Georgetown with a friend of mine. I felt like I had been dropped into another world in which I really did not belong or feel comfortable in. Even though I had worn a cute outfit, a new one, one that I feel Stacy and Clinton would definitely approve of, I still felt like it wasn't good enough. God forbid, my pants were from the Gap (*gasp*). Down there, it is not cool to shop at the Gap. When I spend $40 or $50 on a pair of pants or jeans, I feel like I've spent too much. These people look at me and think, "Like, omg, she only spends $50 on jeans. You totally have to spend at least $150 to get a decent pair." I had not felt so out of place in a long time. I felt like I was looked down upon for my wardrobe, my shoes, my purse, whatever. Maybe it's the way I was raised, I'm not sure, but I really find it to be frivolous to spend that kind of money on clothes. The friend that I was with tried on a pair of pants in French Connection. I looked at those pants when they were on, and thought to myself, "You could totally find something very similar for about $100 less elsewhere." The sticker price on the pair of khaki pants was $138.

I have a few assumptions as to why people are materialistic in nature. (1) People use material things to make them feel better about themselves and superior to others. If this is the case, then *applause* to the people in Georgetown. You succeeded in making me feel inferior. Keep at it, you are doing great! (2) People substitute material items in their lives to try and fill other voids that may exist.

Please don't get me wrong, I think that splurging on a purse, or a pair of shoes, or a pair of jeans is okay, as long as you can afford it and you don't make a habit of spending that kind of money on every item that you buy. It makes me so angry when I know that people are dropping $150 on pants when they already have credit card bills that aren't paid off. Why in the world would someone think that it is okay to spend that kind of money when you don't even have that money in your possession to spend?

I used to think of myself as a "Material Girl." That song was my self-proclaimed theme song for a long time. I like to shop, I like clothes, but I also like to find great deals. Other than a winter coat, I don't think I have ever spent over $60 on a single item in my wardrobe. Even so, I like to think of myself as a decent dresser. That is, I don't think anyone is going to nominate me for 'What Not to Wear' anytime soon. I don't think my buying habits have changed over the years, but I guarantee I don't think of myself as a "Material Girl" any longer. I no longer think that that is a cool term, and I hope no one ever calls me 'material' again.

4 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I want to know where you can buy jeans for $150... I've never seen prices that high. I'm thrilled with my $25 Old Navy jeans.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

'7 for all mankind' jeans are like the jeans to have right now. I swear every other person I see has ona pair of 7's. Check out the prices:
http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_boutique-medium.asp?category=2376776~2374325~2380004~2382616

French Connection (FCUK) was the store that my friend was trying on pants in. Here are their men's jeans (the prices are in pounds and the exchange rate is close to 1.9):
http://www.fcukbuymail.com/productList.aspx?CategoryID=m_jeanscords

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

More like FCUK me up the rear to buy those pants! Man, I would need to put a second mortgage on the house!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

No kidding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home