Oh
'Oh' is a short, sweet song from the Dave Matthews solo album, 'Some Devil'. I remember the day this album came out. I rushed to the store on my lunch break to pick it up and proceeded listening to it nonstop for days. The first time through the cd I picked my favorite song. It was this one, and amazingly, it is still my favorite song from the album.
Weekends at my sister's house usually consist of barking, running relentlessly up and down stairs, barking, playing a "let's sneak up on Riley to see if he barks at me" game, and barking. My dog is possibly the most energetic dog to ever walk the earth (and I say earth because we all know that there is a planet out there that is run by dogs a la 'Good Boy!') and my sister's dog is possibly the most non-dog's dog ever. Meaning, Riley is not very fond of other canines and prefers humans. Riley is a bit older than Abby and as a result doesn't want to play quite as much as Abby does. Do you know how babies and/or children act when they are really tired but don't want to go to bed? You know, when they won't sit still for two seconds for fear of dozing off. Well, Abby does this too. When she is around other dogs, she does not want to sleep or sit or lay or even roll over for that matter. She does not want to miss any action. On Saturday night, my sister, brother-in-law, and I were playing the board game Clue, Simpsons edition (It was Homer as Mr. Green in the Android's Dungeon with the Poisoned Doughnut). It was one of those nights in which Abby was afraid to sit down for fear of falling asleep. We generally need to separate the dogs and this night was no exception. Riley was in his bed, in between Steve and I. We were attempting to use our bodies as blockades so Abby would be unable to play her favorite "let's sneak up on Riley to see if he barks at me" game. She was determined! No matter how many times I yelled "No!" or "Bad Girl!" (that one always gets her), she still would not sit still. Finally, I think I ended up going to bed early, just so Abby would finally sleep. When she is tired and determined to stay awake she becomes much more misbehaved than her normal angelic self.
Every time we return home from a trip or visiting someone, Abby always crashes. She is so tired from her lack of sleep, she will go straight to bed, no matter what time it is. This is very uncharacteristic of the normal, everyday Abbs. On Sunday evening when we returned home she went right to the bedroom and laid on her bed. Yesterday morning, she didn't even eat her food. It was still there when I got home from work. I reminded her about it, and last night, I noticed it was finally gone. Well, this morning as I was running late and blow-drying my hair, I heard the heaving. That sound that your dog makes when she/he is about to...well, you know. I immediately turned off the hair-dryer, grabbed a paper towel, and got to her just in time to lay it on the floor. It breaks my heart when she is sick. I can't handle it. I felt like crying. She must have gotten a hold of something that didn't agree with her tummy (which is pretty much anything that is not dog food or dog treats) sometime on Sunday. I suppose the being ill explains the not eating episode of the day before. I was afraid to feed her this morning, so the poor girl is probably starving as I type this. I have considered going home early to check on her. Am I allowed to use sick hours for an ill puppy? I'm not sure.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home