Action Drum
I am going to Uganda in 2 months. There have been so many moments since I began this process several months ago that I freak out and exclaim, "What am I thinking?!? I can't go to AFRICA!" But I also know that I am ready. God is moving in Uganda and they are long overdue for action. The mission of our trip is prayer and this is an opportune time to go and pray for change in a country which has suffered greatly as a result of a war in the North that has waged for nearly twenty years. Peace talks between the Ugandan government and the LRA began last week, but they have yet to make any progress. Museveni, the Ugandan President, has offered Joseph Kony, the rebel leader of the LRA, amnesty if he ends the attacks. The LRA has requested a ceasefire which the Ugandan government has refused to sign. Kony has yet to show up to any of the talks (taking place in Southern Sudan) and they are now sending Kony's mother (whom he has not seen in 15 years) to talk him into attending the discussions. Amnesty has been offered several times over the course of years, but the LRA attacks continue. The state of Northern Uganda breaks my heart and that is why I have to go.
I began sending my support letters to raise funding about 2 weeks ago and on Friday, I received my first check. As I opened the envelope, my eyes filled with tears and my heart with gratitude. While I understand that not everyone will be as driven about Uganda (and the Invisible Children) as I am, I truly feel like each person is partnering with me and my team. The most exciting thing about the trip is going to be the ability to share stories when I return. I can hardly wait.
If you have not received a support letter from me but wish to, you can email me at greyst at gmail dot com, or you can make a donation online at www.frontline.to/global. Select the link under "Interested in Supporting a Team" and follow the instructions. You may be asked to log in, but you will not be added to any mailing lists. Select the Uganda team and type "Karyn" when it asks for a team member. If you choose to make an anonymous donation to the team, type "General - anonymous." All contributions are tax deductible.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home