Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Like a goalie tending the net (in the third quarter)

All the cool kids are talking up the World Cup. Frankly, I am quite sick of it. I am not quite in the "No. More. Wire. Hangers!" stage yet but I am at the "What is with this sock scrunchy in my shoe?" phase. I have tried. I check the BBC page daily to keep up-to-date with the scores, to find out what countries have been eliminated, and to read up on all the bad puns about the US being kept in Czech. The truth is, I do not get it. I have expressed my interest in attending a DC United match on numerous occasions (because maybe if I witness a game in person the rules will become more clear). However, I cannot bring myself to feasibly understand a sport who's clock COUNTS UP. How can you play a game in which the object is to have the most points/goals at then end if you do not know how much time is left! (Please note the absence of the question mark and the presence of the exclamation point. I do not wish someone to explain this to me. I know quite well that people who actually understand the sport probably know how much time is left but to those of us who prefer our football a la Americana and know nothing of this "futbol," it does not make a bit of sense. Soccer fanatics have attempted to explain the clock to me and I still do not understand it.) Furthermore, how can I get behind a sport in which ties are commonplace and not a rare occurrence? What is the point if there is no winner? It really does pain me to admit my lack of love for something that is so inherent in the British culture. That is, the culture in which I wish I was a part. Call me an ignorant American if you want to, I really don't care. I plan on watching the World Cup final solely for the hotness of the players. The vast majority of soccer players are most likely more attractive than the majority of football players (save the QB...and Jason Taylor). Then again, I may be basing this on a limited number of known soccer stars. Or one. At any rate, am I alone in this? Am I the only one who is not jumping on the World Cup bandwagon? Am I the only one who is secretly jumping for joy that this only comes around once every four years?

2 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Hollis said...

You might be one of 5 people in the world who's not super excited.

I was kind of blown away today by some clips of games that were being shown. And it wasn't the amazing goals or awesome kicks...it was the fans. I don't think I've ever seen more intense, hard core fans anywhere (the closest thing is at a Hurricanes game...but it still wasn't the same).

It is a little sad to me that soccer isn't big here. So many kids play as youth (myself included) but as grown ups most people aren't that interested. I know MLS has somewhat of a following but it's nothing like in other countries. I guess it's sad because the whole world is so excited about this World Cup and most people here just aren't. Oh well....I still do love "American" Football the best, but there is love in my heart for that other football too.

I do have a good explanation for why the clock counts up should you wish for it!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

I'm all for international sporting events. I'm a huge fan of the Olympics. I don't care what sport is on, I will watch it (even if it's Curling and there is no way I will ever understand THAT sport with all the swiffering and the bowling). But I have just not been able to get into this World Cup stuff.

If it were the Quidditch Cup...THAT would be a different story. I understand that sport and can tell you all about the quaffle, the bludgers, and the snitch and their impact on the match, not to mention all 7 of the positions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home