Feeling lonely and so cold
Last night was quite possibly the last true Gilmore Girls episode ever. And it was depressing. In more ways than one.
Depressor #1 - Lorelai lies awake after a sleepless night (at Sookie's house) thinking about the beautiful house that her parents bought as a wedding present for her and Luke and about how she is never going to be in that house because Luke is never going to marry her.
Depressor #2 - After a long night at the elder Gilmore residence during which Emily attempted matchmaking Christopher and some psychologist chick who subsequently held an impromptu session with Lorelai in her car in the driveway, Lorelai storms into the diner pouring her heart out to the man that supposedly loves her and wants to marry her. She tells him that they need to go, go now, and elope because otherwise the wedding is never going to happen because she is no longer going to sit on the sidelines saying nothing about Luke using April as an excuse to drag his feet. She tells him that he needs to figure out a way to fit April into their lives, not the other way around.
Sort of uplifting realization #1 - Most Gilmore fans have been a little miffed at the story lines this season. We were mad that they brought some phantom daughter of Luke's into the picture to ruin Luke and Lorelai's relationship. We were mad that Lorelai has been very un-Lorelai in dealing with the situation. And we were (or at least I was) annoyed that Christopher is still popping up at the most inopportune times. However, Amy Sherman-Palladino (producer/director/writer) has been saying for years that Lorelai and Christopher are meant to be (even though the show has been seemingly based around the tension between the main character and the difficult diner owner). It has taken Luke being a butt to make me realize that maybe Lorelai and Christopher are meant to be. I know that she has given him numerous chances but maybe, just maybe, he really is different now. But on the other hand, how can Luke and Lorelai reside in Stars Hollow and not be together? It can't happen. Lorelai would have to move, and what is Stars Hollow without the Gilmore girls?
Sort of uplifting realization #2 - Maybe Logan is not all bad. Maybe he will grow up in London. Maybe he really does love Rory.
Depressor #3 - Luke turns Lorelai's "Let's elope!" offer down and she immediately runs to Christopher's place and sleeps with him. I know I said that maybe Lorelai and Chris were meant to be but that was not the face of a girl who just got what she wanted in life. She loves Luke.
Depressor #4 - Amy Sherman-Palladino is gone. The studio did not meet her contract expectations and she's gone. The creator of the show is gone. The head writer of the show is gone. The executive producer of the show is gone. AS-P embodied all of those roles. Where will our Girls end up without her?

2 Comments:
I was disappointed by the finale. They've been draaaaaaaagging out the breakup of Lorelai and Luke ALL season, and it has been really irritating. The right thing to do would have been to have it NOT turn out the way you expected and have Luke suddenly see the light and everything be turned back to normal again. Besides, Jason hates it when the characters sleep around.
And was I hallucinating, or in one of the teasers for the finale, did one of the characters say "I'm pregnant"??? I SWEAR I heard that, and I kept waiting for it in the show, but it never happened. Which, BTW, Lorelai looked like she was concealing a little 3-4 month belly in those flowy dresses.
Maybe Luke will move and go get back together with April's mom. It's been feeling that way...especially since they keep showing how much Lorelai is like Anna...maybe that's why Luke loved her...b/c she reminded him of his TRUE love Anna. Blah.
And now that you have told us that AS-P is gone, I have lost all hope. Not quite lost the will to live, but almost. This is writing that cannot be duplicated. Unless they get the writers from Dawsons Creek...those teenagers spoke with too much quick wit too. (Don't judge me for knowing that).
In the meantime, I'm going to continue working my way through the season 3 dvd's and pretend I don't know the sad future.
Yeah, the studio couldn't meet AS-P's contract expectations. It annoys me that they could have such disregard for the person who made the show.
And I also noticed a bit of a belly under that dress...but I haven't heard anything about her being pregnant.
Post a Comment
<< Home