Monday, May 15, 2006

Daughters will love like you do

When I was a kid, we had a very traditional Mother's Day plan every year. My older sister and I would wake up early and attempt to make Mom breakfast without waking her up. (The true test of a mom is how well she can pretend to be asleep when her kids crash around in the kitchen picking the shells out of the scrambled eggs.) After the three of us ate breakfast on her bed, we would get ready for Church. Every year, the Church would pass out corsages to the mom with the most kids, the oldest mom, the mom with the most grandkids, etc. I always thought it was a bit unfair because my mom deserved to be honored too. If they had a corsage for the hardest working mom or the mom with the most responsibility or the mom who'd been though the hardest times in her life, then she would have had it, hands down. After Church, we would drive up to Key Largo to the KFC and pick up a bucket of fried chicken and a few family size side dishes. We then drove back home and set up a carpet picnic in the living room while tuning in to whatever Doris Day movie was on the television. That's all my mom wanted, fried chicken and old movies.

When I finally talked to my mom yesterday, she had already been to Church, had her fried chicken, and was laying by the pool, then she said, "Maybe there will be a good Doris Day movie on when I go inside." As soon as she said that, all the memories of Mother's Day passed came back. As soon as I got home from running errands, I turned immediately to AMC. It wasn't Doris Day, but it was the second best. I recognized Sandra Dee as Tammy immediately. As the male lead of this particular movie fastened a necklace around her neck, it fell down Tammy's dress and she instinctively looked to the ground to find it. When she realized the necklace was caught in the top of her dress, she turned to the man, "Oh Tom! I am a woman fully growed!" Oh I how love good 'ol Tammy. The credits started to roll and the voice came over saying, "Next on AMC's Movies for Mom, Tammy and the Doctor." Sweet!

I called my mom and told her to get in from the pool ASAP because she couldn't miss Sandra Dee and Peter Fonda. From that point, we called one another at least 4 more time throughout the course of the movie to laugh about the ridiculousness of it. And my friends, this is why my sister, my mom, and I, all love Gilmore Girls so much. Because we know that kind of a mother/daughter relationship, and we wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home