Friday, March 03, 2006

Wannabe

As I believe I have mentioned before, I frequently get my news from the BBC website. I feel that it is less bias and more globally oriented. American media is skewed in it's world view. There could be a typhoon sweeping across Asia and killing thousands of people but the headline on CNN will be, "Could blonde hair found on beach in Aruba belong to Natalee Holloway?" But I digress, because this is not a rant about American media. James Blunt topping the US singles chart has been a big story over on BBC this week. He is the first UK artist since 1997 to hit #1 in the US. This morning, I came across this article talking about how the last six UK artists that conquered the US chart have done so. The list was appalling. Check it out (minus James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"):

Elton John - "Candle in the Wind 1997"
Spice Girls - "Wannabe"
Seal - "Kiss from a Rose"
UB40 - "Can't Help Falling in Love"
Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

AMERICA WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING? Of all the amazing British music in the last 15 years, only these songs topped our chart? I'm not saying that I did not own any of these (because I unfortunately owned at least 3), but this is precisely the reason I cannot bear to listen to top 100 radio stations (or any radio station for that matter). As much as I loathe them, even U2 hasn't made it to the top! (That is, not since 1987's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.")

A vast majority of Americans, including myself, are obsessed with the British culture. Take, for example, the scene in Love Actually where Colin decides to fly to the amazing land of Wisconsin where he knows he will get some action because American girls will surely dig him for his cute British accent ("How do you say this one? Uh, bottle. BOHT-el! And this one? Straw. Strohw!"). If we, as Americans are so obsessed, then why are our music charts not reflecting that? Granted, the Princess Diana song demonstrates our obsession well, but "I'm Too Sexy"? C'mon!

And I must say it: Is James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" really that good? NO! You cannot tell me that it is better than any other song to come out of Britain since 1997 (although, I do feel it is better than the prior 5 listed above). What is wrong with America? I need to move to Britain.

In related news, Madonna's "Sorry" is at the top of the UK top 40 chart.

I hereby rescind my prior statement about the need to move to Britain. At least until a new chart is released.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait until the Arctic Monkeys makes it big in the US - should be exciting.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

I got that album the other day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home