Monday, December 12, 2005

Where all the colors mix together

I cannot tell you how many times my blog has been found by people searching for "what colors go good together" or "what do you get when you mix colors together." It happens all the time. What I don't get is why people click on my website from the search results. Is it not obvious that they won't find their answers here? Just in case there is anyone who does not know why my blog is named what it is, it is a lyric from a Dave Matthews Band song, not the website that you go to when trying to mix colors.

However, I have decided to help some people out and give a little lesson in Art. Essentially, there are 3 types of colors.

Primary colors: Red, Blue, and Yellow. Primary colors are the only colors that cannot be made by mixing other colors.



By mixing 2 primary colors, you get a secondary color, of which there are also 3: Purple, Orange, and Green.

Blue + Red = Purple
Red + Yellow = Orange
Yellow + Blue = Green



Together, the Primary and Secondary colors make up our basic color wheel.



The third type of color is called Intermediate. These are colors that you get when you mix a Primary color with a Secondary color. Pink and turquoise would be two examples that would fit in this category. Here is the color wheel with the intermediate colors mixed in:



These images are courtesy of this website. Here is a page that you can study more basic color concepts. AND you can also go here to take a short quiz on what you learned.

For those of you who find this website searching for "what colors go good together," I don't know if there is much hope for you. However, as a general rule of thumb, try to avoid wearing brown with black or gray and do not go monochrome on top and bottom (unless the shades differ greatly and even then, I would avoid it). If you still need help, get someone to nominate you for What Not to Wear.

5 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hollis said...

Hopefully people will finally understand it's not ok to wear brown and black together. The horror, the horror!

I'm glad I charmed you btw :)

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I love sarcasm. Keep up the good work. BTW, is it okay to wear a black baseball hat with navy blue shoes?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Brianna said...

More importantly.....NEVER NEVER NEVER wear black and navy together. Or white socks with anything other than athletic shoes....which my husband is horribly guilty of. (hangs head) The SHAME!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

You heard the woman, no black and navy. I would invest in another hat to wear with the navy shoes. Surely you have another you can wear. A khaki hat would be good.

For what it's worth, I would NEVER wear my black and white coat with brown anything.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger fatjeremy said...

i was doing a search on how to fix a clutch for a 96 mazda, and came across your site. can you help me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home