When it comes to December, it's obvious why...
I don't know what it is about the snow, but it's a known fact that no one wants to be alone at Christmas time. Maybe it's because we inherently know that snow means winter. Winter means Christmas. Christmas leads to New Years. And New Years is followed by the worst of all, that holiday that starts with a V......for VICIOUS. Snow has a way of acting as an aphrodisiac for couples in love (or the ones not so in love but pretending to be, it doesn't matter really) and alienating those not.
Over the weekend, a friend that I used to work with got engaged (congrats again Crystal!), and yesterday I saw pictures of her engagement ring. This prompted me to think about what kind of ring I would want if the time to be engaged ever came. So I went to the A Diamond is Forever website to design my own ring. It asked me to take a brief survey before allowing me to design my ring. Okay, not a big deal.
What is your age?
Under 18
18-24
25-34
35-44
45-54
55+
I immediately checked the 18-24 box and went on, then all of the sudden I realized. And I almost started crying. I'm in the next bracket! I'm in the 25-34 bracket now. I reluctantly went back and re-checked the "old" box.
Gender?
Phew! Easy one.
Where did you first find out about the Design Gallery?
Um, yeah. I don't really know, but another easy one nonetheless.
When do you plan to buy/receive your next piece of diamond jewelry?
0-3 months
4-6 months
7-12 months
1-2 years
just looking
Starting to feel depressed, I selected the "just looking" box.
What best describes your yearly household income? If engaged, please estimate your combined household income after you are married.
I just want to look at a ring! Why do they have to make me feel so un-engaged? I selected the box that fit my own income because I didn't know what else to say.
What is your current marital status?
married
never married
divorced
widowed
I'm not married okay! Get off my back people! Then it got worse...much worse.
Are you currently...
engaged
expect to be engaged soon
dating
not involved with anyone
Oh. My. Goodness. Could they have worded that last option to make me feel any worse? No! I'm not involved with anyone. I'm just a girl with a dream. Thanks for making me feel alone and unwanted.* Like I wasn't already alienated enough by the freaking snow.
The last few questions are irrelevant, I could barely see the computer through my tears. I was ready to go home, put on my pajamas, hug my dog, curl up in my bed, and eat cookie dough and ice cream.
*That line may or may not have been stolen from an email.

3 Comments:
You got it. That remains my favorite song by that artist. I listened to it about 4 times in a row on my way home the night it was snowing.
maybe its part of their ploy to get people depressed about not being engaged, so they'll be more eager to do so and then purchase a ring. that did seem ridiculous the way that was worded though. so what are you plans for new years?
"Actually, I'm not a planner. I'm a fly by the seat of my pants gal. You know, moment to moment, that's me."
Post a Comment
<< Home