Friday, April 15, 2005

My Heart Will Go On

You don't know how much it pains me to use that song as a title, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

In the comments from yesterday's post, Derick mentioned his Titanic themed prom. I was thinking about this on my way back from my lunch break today. I admit that I was into Titanic at one point. Why? I have no clue. The buzz surrounding that movie was absurd. The amount of people rushing to the theaters to watch a movie that they all knew the ending to - the boat sinks, people die. However, that is not what this post is about.

As I was thinking about Titanic and how I used to like it, I remembered that at one time we had fish in college. Fish were the only "pets" allowed in the on-campus apartments, so we got some. My roommates and I went and picked out the fish together. There were two of them, and we called them Jack and Rose. Jack was gold and Rose was more reddish (hence the name). I don't know how long we had them before they died, but I think they lasted at least a couple of months. Actually, I think I accidentally killed them. If I remember correctly, I was changing their fish bowl and I think I didn't put enough de-chlorinization drops in the water or something, because the next thing I knew, they were floating. I blame it on the University of Miami and their water. None of us had the heart to flush Jack and Rose, so we buried them outside our apartment under a tree. For a while, I thought about them every time I passed that tree and eventually I completely forgot. Until now.

I have decided that fish are very high maintenance pets. If the chlorine level or water temp isn't just right, then they die. They contract ick way too easily. And frankly, I find the cleaning of a fish bowl to be vile. With dogs, at least you get love and affection in return for your time, energy and money invested in them. Sometimes, you even get chewed up dvd's....

2 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Fish are definitely high maintenance. We have a frog that's eaten no telling how many guppies (it ate all the babies that our adults made, and it finally ate the adults). We had 6 or 7 other fish and they got the ick. Everything died, except the frog. So now we have a 20-gallon tank for 1 frog. I'm afraid to get anymore because of that stupid ick. This is the second time it has happened. It just makes me want to say... ICK!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

Oh, the poor frog was hungry. Did you ever think of getting rid of the frog to spare the fish?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home