Sister Sneaker Sister Soul
From the time I was old enough to comprehend my surroundings, I have been admiring my big sister. When we lived in the "big house" she would play with Kammie, the next door neighbor, and I would watch them in utter awe. On Halloween, they were the raddest cowgirl and witch I had ever seen. I remember a bucket of shells we had in our yard. Krista would sit in the gravel picking one shell out at a time, saying "He loves me. He loves me not." Later, I would go and do the exact same thing. In the "gray house" we had our own rooms on the scary third floor. I'm not sure I ever slept in mine. I would run to hers and crawl into her bed, after which we would run downstairs and sleep in mom's room. During those days, we would watch The Monkees and play with the tadpoles in the barrel under the house. In the "Key Largo house" Sandy would come over and we would play office in the living room and pretend we were each married to a New Kid. Our room was littered with Teen Beat and Bop! cut-outs, not to mention her "I love Frankie" pink heart. Although she may not recall, it was there that she shared with me the knowledge of the birds and the bees. On Hibiscus Street, I was Chynna Phillips, Krista was Wendy Wilson, and we made Sandy be Carnie. She started high school. She let me ride to school with her and Becky. We circled the parking lot with the windows down singing "I Don't Want It," but only after our Sir Mix A Lot single was taken away. Although I acted a tortured little child living in her big sister's shadow, to me, there was not a cooler person on earth.
For the last several days, I have been carrying around my phone like it is my job, willing it to buzz and tell me that it's time. My big sister is having a baby. I praise God for the proximity He has allowed us not only in miles, but in heart. While it seems like yesterday we were washing the car and singing into the hose, "Someday some body's gonna make you wanna turn around and say goodbye" - we have grown up and changed from bobby sox to stockings. She is still the raddest thing since sliced bread and I pray that one day I will be like her.
I love you Krista. I cannot wait to meet my already beautiful niece or nephew and I promise that I will be the best Aunt there ever was.
Labels: family

1 Comments:
aw, thanks, i'm not crying, no I'm not...I am obviously way too cool for that. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home