Jump Around
Throughout the entire year that I spent in my one bedroom apartment, I had the same downstairs neighbor. She lived directly underneath me, and I affectionately referred to her as Mrs. Doubtfire, as she is the spitting image of Mrs. Doubtfire. I have never had a real conversation with Mrs. Doubtfire, however I would always smile and say hello whenever I ran into her. I would also often hold the door open for her or offer to help her with her groceries. I've always suspected that she must not be very fond of me because of the noise that I know Abby makes running and pouncing around the apartment. You'd be surprised how loud she can be when she runs in circles at full speed.
On Tuesday evening I was over trying to finish cleaning the apartment before I turn in my keys. As I was carrying some boxes out to the car, I see Mrs. Doubtfire pull into a parking spot. She has two very tall younger men with her. I turned to go back inside and I heard her talking to the boys in a tone meant for me to hear as well, "Now here is a good neighbor!" I turned around and replied, "Awe, thanks..." Then she introduced me to her two sons. I've lived over top of her for a year and I have never seen her have company, I never knew whether or not she had family. I've always assumed she was a school teacher because of the times that she comes and goes. She kept on, "She lives above me with her dog, and I'm sorry, I've never even got your name." I told her my name and informed her that I was moving out, saying "Hopefully the next person will be good too." She replied, "Oh, I had a feeling that you were leaving." I told her, "I figured you would be glad I was leaving, I'm sure I've made so much noise up there with my dog." She said, "Oh no. I hear her, but it is a happy noise. I enjoy it."
Now, I am a little sad that I didn't speak to Mrs. Doubtfire more often. I still don't know her name. Maybe this time, I will pay more attention to my neighbors.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home