When September Ends
Baseball fans across America are going to be on the edge of their seats this weekend. It has turned into a nail-biting close to the 2005 regular season. Maybe not so much for the National League, but for the American League and the 2 teams with possibly the largest fan bases and biggest rivalry in baseball, if not in all of sports.
Yes boys and girls, it's the Red Sox and the Yankees. When I was in college, I had this friend, we'll call him Rich, who was crazy about his Red Sox. You see, he grew up in the Boston area. And in the Boston area, there is no greater team, no greater sport, and no greater pastime than some Red Sox baseball. It is one of those cities that stands behind their team no matter what. Fenway is sold out even when it's the end of September and they have no chance for a pennant. Nothing like other cities that have fairweather fans and only show up to watch when the team is on a winning streak, such as the city of Miami and the way they are with all of their professional sports teams. So, back to college, I had this other friend, we'll call her Hollis, and she was not much for baseball, rather she thrived on all things football. Then, Hollis met Rich. Because Hollis was not much for baseball, she had no ties to any baseball team. Rich took this opportunity to recruit Hollis for the Red Sox. He taught her all the baseball rules and they began watching games together. Once someone gives baseball a chance, there is no turning back. It is a great sport, and Hollis became hooked. The Red Sox are an infectious team, when you learn about their history and begin watching them play, you can't help but become a fan. That is, unless you are already a Yankees fan. Hollis and Rich made a place for baseball in their life together. When they were married on December 2, 2000, they had wedding favors in the shape of baseballs made to hang on a Christmas tree with their names and wedding date painted on them.
Throughout the years I have spent with Hollis and Rich, I have learned a lot about Red Sox baseball. I have gradually come to the point where I will route for them to win every game, unless they are playing the Braves. Last year, they clinched the spot of Karyn's official American League team. Some will say that I hopped on the bandwagon, but I would beg to differ. It was at least a 5 year process, my becoming a fan. Therefore, I will be on the edge of my seat with the rest of all-American baseball fans, biting my nails, and routing for the home team this weekend.

2 Comments:
There is only one way for me to comment on this.....GO YANKEES!
It's all good. A wild card will work just as well this year as it did last.
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home