Thursday, September 08, 2005

It's a small world after all

After months of thinking about it, I finally decided I needed to finish my application and volunteer for the high school program at Church. I led a freshmen girls small group in Louisville, and I loved it. This past Sunday night at Frontline, they had a push for high school volunteers, which they have never done before. I knew that it was my sign to get that application finished. I filled out a form saying that I was interested and submitted it to the booth in the lobby. On Tuesday afternoon, they left a message on my phone telling me that there was a volunteer meeting on Wednesday night at Church. I rushed to finish the rather long application so I could take it with me to the meeting.

The meeting was a sort of volunteer kick-off/orientation thing. All of the old volunteers were there as well. As I was sitting at the table, I began flipping through the pamphlet of papers in front of me. On the last page was a list of the small group leaders and the room numbers that their small groups would be meeting in for the year. I looked down the list and saw my name! Except my first name was spelled wrong (which is normal, it happens all the time). They had me listed as leading a junior high small group. I inwardly began freaking out. I hadn't even turned in my application yet, how could they have already signed me up for a group....on my own? Way to throw me out there! Then I started thinking about all the time I had spent on my application....for what? If they were just going to sign me up right away!

The girl to my left was also new, and had not finished her app yet, so I leaned over and said "Is your name on this list?" She looked over it and replied, "No." The meeting continued, as I sat in agony over why I had already been signed up and how I am terrified of junior high kids....high school, I can handle. The meeting finally finished and I immediately turned to the girl on my right (she had already told me that she had been volunteering for 4 years) and pointed to my name and said, "Do you know this girl?" She replied, "Karen Reynolds, yeah...hey Karen come here...oh, she just ran out of the room." I'm like, "Uh....th-th-that's MY name, except with a Y."

The meeting was over and everyone was moving to the other room to eat (Chipotle, God love 'em). About 10 minutes later, Andrea, the girl that I had been sitting next to, came and found me and said, "Hey Karyn, here's someone I want you to meet, Karen." Now, I've met a ton of people named Karen before, even one Karyn, but this was WAY weird. We kinda stared at each other with these, "Are you kidding me?" looks on our faces. She said, "I thought Andrea was joking with me but she said, 'No really, there's another girl with your name except it's with a Y'. Then I told her, 'Oh man! That means she's cooler than me, I always wanted my name to be with a Y.'" To which I of course responded, "You're right, I am cooler than you." Only in my head! Don't worry, I'm not that sarcastic in the first 2 minutes of meeting a person.

This girl was about my height, dark blonde hair, blue eyes, 26 yrs old. I was wearing khaki pants, brown tee, and my denim jacket. And she was wearing (if I remember correctly) burgundy pants, a white shirt, and a denim jacket. It was SO weird. We ultimately decided that I should be her co-leader so we can confuse the kids.

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Jason said...

That's awesome. I've always wanted to meet someone with my name. I know they're out there, becasue a friend of mine lived in the same dorm as one at UK. He said it was very confusing meeting somebody else with my name.

My wife's father has about the most common name in the world. Jimmy Smith. I know 3 Jimmy Smith's personally. There is actually a Jimmy Smith convention every year, where hundreds show up. It's funny.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Karyn said...

She doesn't have the same middle name as me, but it is freakishly similar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home