Things You Can Do
The other day as I was contemplating life and culture in modern society, I became undeniably angry with myself. For some reason my mind was pondering the idea of multi-tasking and how it has taken over our lives in every way. We are incapable of focusing on one thing at any given moment. My anger stemmed from my own use of the telephonic device. How many times have I been at home and remembered that I needed to call a friend or family member and thought to myself, "I'll call them when I'm on my way to ..."? I'll wait until I get in the car, so I can do at least 3 things at one time: talk on the phone, drive, and enjoy the musical stylings coming through my speakers. In the rare case I actually talk on the phone from my house, I am always doing something else at the same time. In fact, that little earpiece deal that I got for Christmas has made doing chores whilst talking on the phone much easier. When I am at the gym, the numerous televisions in front of the treadmills and elliptical machines fuel my addiction to multi-tasking. I can catch up on local news, see the scores on ESPN's bottom line, watch Seinfeld, listen to music, and burn calories -- all at the same time. As I sit here now, I am writing this, monitoring my email (lotus notes and gmail...not to mention gmail chat), and listening to my iPod.

2 Comments:
yeah, i often find myself running like 5 diferent errands during my precious one hour lunch break.
i dont know if thats the same thing, but i wish i could just relax and eat a nice lunch without thinking about wasting time.
I just went to the bathroom and took my Nintendo DS AND a magazine so that I wouldn't have to "waste" those seconds while I'm waiting for a game to load or find players in Japan for me to whoop up on and could catch up on the latest Britney/K-Fed drama. Every second must be used maximally. What has happened to us?
Post a Comment
<< Home